Advice from a Residential Electrician in North Scottsdale, AZ: Four Electrical Safety Tips for Fall

November 4, 2016 11:22 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

Your electrician in North Scottsdale, AZ has seen it all—faulty wiring, damaged electrical cords, outdated smoke detectors and other hazards in residential homes. But these things can usually be corrected or fixed. So, since we all want to avoid electrical fires and power surges in our homes, let’s take a look at a few important electrical safety tips to keep in mind this fall.

Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors

Every home or apartment should be equipped with smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. In fact, it’s recommended that you install a smoke detector in each room of your house, as well as carbon monoxide devices in all areas with gas-powered appliances, such as gas stoves and water heaters. Test all detectors twice a year to ensure they are still working, but some homeowners may test weekly or monthly. An easy way to remember is to perform checks in the spring and again in the fall during the time changes. Also consider replacing old smoke detectors with new ones, which are designed to last for 10 years.

Use space heaters and electric blankets properly

Sure, fall weather can be chilly, but not yet cold enough to kick on the whole house heater. Instead, you may bring out space heaters to warm up a room or use an electric blanket at night. While both of these things are great for getting warm with low energy cost, you must use them correctly to avoid creating fire hazards and short circuits.

Plug space heaters into wall outlets only—never plug them into an extension cord—and give a three-foot clearance all around. Don’t plug in any cords that are frayed or damaged in any way, because this could start a fire and puts you at risk of electrical shock.

Don’t run cords under rugs

Although cords and wiring tend to be unsightly and disorganized, it’s important that you do not use area rugs to cover electrical cords; don’t even tuck them underneath. This applies to both indoor and outdoor rugs, as well as rugs hanging on walls as decoration. Many electrical fires that occur in homes are started when an electrical cord is left in an improper manner on burnable materials. Try to cover up damaged cords with rugs and you increase the risk for fires. So, whether the cord is for a lamp, the television, stereo or space heater, resist the urge to sweep it under the rug.

Keep dry leaves away from outdoor power sources

There are a lot of leaves littering the ground during the fall months, which means you get to burn some calories raking on the weekends. But if dry, crunchy leaves are not kept at a far distance from outdoor electrical outlets, lighting and other power sources around your yard, then there’s potential for electrical fires. Dry fall leaves are the perfect fuel for fire, and the fire can spread if burning leaves are blown off piles.

Whether you have an electrical emergency or need repairs this fall, don’t hesitate to contact Eavenson Electric Co. to schedule an electrician in North Scottsdale, AZ to come help.

Categorised in:

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *