How to Avoid Needing to Call an Electrical Repair Service in North Scottsdale, AZ This Holiday SeasonNovember 18, 2016 11:22 pm Leave your thoughts
Displaying Christmas lights is a holiday tradition for many families. They’re pretty and bright, but they can also be the reason you need to call an electrical repair service in North Scottsdale, AZ. With that in mind, here are some things you can do to protect your home from electrical problems during the Christmas season:
- Don’t overload outlets: Too many Christmas lights plugged into a single outlet can do a number on your electrical system, not to mention your electric bills will soar. First, several strands of Christmas lights plugged together to utilize one outlet is going to use a lot of wattage, which can lead to short circuits. Also, the heat emanating from hundreds, even thousands, of little lights or light-up house decorations can start fires and trip breakers. Before decorating with lights this year, check that your outlets have enough strength to power your Christmas decorations.
- Water your Christmas trees: Many fires are started each year by dry Christmas trees igniting from the heat of hot lights hanging over their branches. So while a real Christmas tree and Christmas lights make a beautiful combination, it can also be hazardous to your home and your family’s safety. Make sure you keep your tree well watered, and if you still feel nervous about a potential fire, consider omitting the lights.
- Protect outdoor decoration cords: It’s important that you protect light cords from the wet weather. Otherwise, you could be putting yourself at risk of electrical shock should you unknowingly plug a moist light plug into an outlet. There’s also a chance you could end up with damaged strings of lights. For your safety and to extend the life of your Christmas lights, attach extension cords and wiring under awnings or overhangs or use protective coverings. If you suspect a problem with outdoor outlets, contact an electrical repair service in North Scottsdale, AZ immediately.
- Keep cords secure: Always make sure lighting cords and extension cords are not in the path of family members and pets. Instead, bundle longer cords together with a zip tie or use outlets closer to where the device or lights need to go. Children and pets especially are blissfully unaware of such a hazard, so they are more likely to run through an obstacle of cords instead of stepping over them. Tripping can rip lighting from outlets and cause serious damage to cords or plugs.
- Be cautious when stapling lights: Hanging Christmas lights on the outside perimeter of your home for the holidays? If you are using staples to attached strings of lights to your house, then you must take care in your aim. Make sure the staples don’t go through the wires, because this can cause permanent damage to the strand, and even house-wide electrical problems when you go to plug the lights in.
The holidays are best spent socializing with friends and family, not on the phone calling around for emergency electrical services during dinner. But if you do find yourself in need of a reliable electrical repair service in North Scottsdale, AZ, look no further than the team at Eavenson Electric Co.
Categorised in: Electrician
This post was written by Writer