Older Home? Hire an Electrician in North Scottsdale, AZ with ExperienceMay 18, 2018 6:03 pm Leave your thoughts
Older homes offer plenty of character and many challenges. When you find the Victorian of your dreams, you need an experienced electrician in North Scottsdale, AZ to upgrade its systems. Hiring someone without this experience often leads to a longer, more frustrating wait until your electricity is running well again. Here are five challenges with older homes that demand a specialist:
- The risks: Old plumbing can make a mess, but outdated electrical wiring can ruin property or even kill you or a household member. An experienced electrician who has seen everything wrong in old houses can make repairs or replace systems without putting anyone in danger. Also, if you attempt to find the problems or make repairs yourself, you may be in for a shocking experience just because you did not know wires may run to inappropriate areas. The best way to mitigate these risks is with experience.
- Work is not always professional: Early in the 20th century, people often made their own household repairs. That cute farmhouse likely did not have neighbors nearby when it was first built, and isolation often requires a do-it-yourself attitude. Unfortunately, that means discovering quick repairs that were not meant for the long term. People may find wires in insulation or running in places that were not expected. Sometimes the only safe option is to remove them completely and start over again—and that skill is not always present with the average homeowner.
- Old cables: When wires age and become brittle, they may break when handled. They may show scorch marks and lose insulation. If the home ever faced a rodent problem, chew marks from long-dead rats may still exist on your wiring. Again, like the odd wire layout or the risky set-ups, old cables must be handled carefully and replaced. However, some older wiring may remain intact and all you need is a new breaker box. An electrician with a background in older homes can tell the difference and avoid charging you more than you need to pay.
- Embellishment: Older homes often have indoor embellishment features you wish to preserve. Electricians who are accustomed to drilling through any old wall may not think this through when you have door moldings and other period décor you wish to save. Our experience allows us to think around these features and maintain them for your enjoyment. Since amateur electrical jobs from the past may snake through any door or wall crevice, you will appreciate this reduced disruption when it is time to make repairs.
- Passing code: Once your older home is updated, it needs to pass code. We have the background to ensure this happens. You will not have to worry about shoddy work or major flaws being overlooked. Since we have done this before, you will never doubt whether you will pass that last inspection.
If you need an electrician in North Scottsdale, AZ who can handle that quirky Victorian or midcentury modern home, Eavenson Electric Co. is here for you. Call us today if you require repairs or an upgrade.
Categorised in: Electrician
This post was written by Writer