How to Prepare for a Power OutageAugust 7, 2018 3:09 pm Leave your thoughts
We rely on electricity for so much in today’s world beyond just lighting. Electricity heats and cools our homes. It powers our communications devices. It keeps our food from spoiling. So, when there’s a power outage, people might worry not knowing when the electricity will return. If it’s only out for a couple of hours, it’s no big deal, but a longer power outage can quickly become a major problem.
Depending on the nature of the problem, you may even need to bring in an electrician in North Scottsdale, AZ. There are steps you can take to adequately prepare you and your family for an electricity outage. This will make you safer and more comfortable in this event:
- Lights: Keep several flashlights around the house. These will be handy in the event of a power outage. You’ll also want to buy some emergency candles and matches. Other useful items include a candle lantern, oil lamp or propane lantern. Also keep around some longer, fireplace-style matches that will be good for lighting fires outdoors.
- Battery-operated radio: A battery-operated or hand-crank radio is a good idea so that you don’t have to rely on electricity to know what’s going on. You should also find out which stations include emergency broadcasts, as these may provide vital information in the event of a power outage.
- Manual can opener: Keeping food stored in cans is ideal for an electricity outage, but of course those won’t be very useful if you only have an electric can opener. For coffee drinkers, you’ll want to have a French press and pre-ground coffee.
- Cell phone car charger: This is a great way to get around using an outlet to charge your phone. Simply hook the charger into a running car and connect the cell phone. This will provide a critical link to the outside world should you need to contact anyone.
- Gasoline: It’s always best to keep the tank as full as possible, especially in the event of a severe storm. This way you’ll be able to escape any potential danger.
- Keep the fridge and freezer cold: It may be inevitable that your food spoils if it’s kept in the fridge without electricity for a couple of days. But you can stretch out the time that it will last by allowing the cold air to stay inside the appliance.
Do you need a trustworthy electrician in North Scottsdale, AZ who’s going to do the job right the first time, every time? Then you should turn to the expert team at Eavenson Electric Co. For more than 30 years, we’ve been helping customers throughout the Phoenix metro area. We’re so confident that you’ll love our services that we offer a 100 percent customer satisfaction guarantee.
Our team of professional, courteous employees is committed to providing you with the best customer service and electrical repair or installation services possible. We have the depth of experience combined with cutting-edge knowledge of new technology that’s essential for fixing any electrical problem. We serve both residential and commercial customers. Call us today for more information and a free consultation.
Categorised in: Electrician
This post was written by Writer