Summer is just around the corner. Rising temperatures and scorching hot days typically mean higher energy bills for residents across the Phoenix area. Luckily, we’re here to help! Keep more money in your pocket by following these 10 ways to save energy in North Scottsdale, AZ:
- Adjust your daily routine: One of the easiest ways to save money is by simply switching up your behavior when you’re at home. Turning off lights when you leave a room and making sure the TV is off when you’re not watching it are two easy ways to reduce energy consumption. Utilizing ceiling fans instead of blasting the AC can also help cut down on costs this summer.
- Replace your light bulbs: Those old incandescent light bulbs need to go! Swapping out all of your old incandescent bulbs for new, energy-efficient LED lights can save a boatload. LEDs use up to 80 percent less electricity than incandescent bulbs, and they last at least three times longer.
- Use smart power strips: It’s estimated that up to 75 percent of the electricity used to power household appliances is consumed when the appliances are off or in standby mode. You can stop this “phantom usage” by investing in smart power strips that totally cut the power to devices when they’re turned off.
- Upgrade your thermostat: If you live in an older house, your thermostat may be draining your electric bill. Newer programmable thermostats can be set to turn the heat or AC off at specific times, like when you’re asleep or away at work. On average, a programmable thermostat can save homeowners over $180 per year.
- Opt for energy-efficient appliances: The next time you need to replace your refrigerator, washing machine, dishwasher or any other appliance, consider going with an energy-efficient model. They may cost a bit more upfront, but appliances with the Energy Star rating consume up to 45 percent less energy.
- Update your HVAC system: Though it’s not always cheap, getting a new heating and air conditioning system is one of our top 10 ways to save energy in North Scottsdale, AZ. New, energy-efficient ACs and furnaces utilize far less energy than their older counterparts. Switching can save hundreds of dollars throughout the year—your new units will pay for themselves in no time.
- Lower your water temperature: Everyone loves a nice, hot shower, but that soothing shower can be costing you big bucks, especially if your water heater is outdated. Lower your water temperature by a few degrees to make your water heater more energy efficient. Plus, a cool shower on a hot day can be quite refreshing!
- Install energy-efficient windows: Air loss through old windows can account for up to 25 percent of your monthly heating and cooling bill. Upgrade your windows to keep your AC in and the hot air out. Again, new windows aren’t cheap, but they can pay for themselves over time.
- Weatherize your home: Weatherizing your house is as simple as sealing air ducts and fixing cracks around windows and doors. This quick weekend project prevents hot air from coming inside your home, saving you a ton of money this summer.
- Add insulation: Bolstering your insulation, particularly up in the attic, will prevent hot air from penetrating your home and raising its indoor temperature. Again, this is a quick weekend project that can save a bunch of money throughout the year.
Along with following these 10 ways to save energy in North Scottsdale, AZ, we also recommend calling an electrician. Our team at Eavenson Electric Co. can do everything from performing safety inspections to updating your home’s wiring or lighting systems. Give us a call today to set up an appointment.
Categorised in: Energy Saving Tips
This post was written by Writer