Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, and deadly gas produced when fossil fuels such as coal, wood, or charcoal burn incompletely without enough oxygen. Appliances like gas furnaces, generators, water heaters, or stoves can also produce CO if they are not properly installed or maintained.
To help better detect the occurrence of a carbon monoxide leak, a CO detector should be installed on each floor of your home (including the basement) and at least one carbon monoxide detector should be located near every sleeping area. A detector should also be located at least 15 feet from heating and cooking appliances and humid areas such as bathrooms. Keep the detector at a safe distance from your attached garage to avoid false alarms due to carbon monoxide leaks from the vehicle or lawnmower that might be running when you are not home.
And as with smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors have a life span that depends on several factors. However, a standard rule is that they last about five to seven years before their sensors decline in efficiency. The end of their lifespan is marked by a chirp on the alarm. It can be a loud, continuous sound or a repetitive, non-stop beep. While the chirp may seem annoying, it is an important indicator that it is time for a new detector.
Categorised in: Uncategorized
This post was written by admin